Sunday, March 27, 2011

two short stories


Short Story #1 – Manila, Philippines

First rule of budget traveling, look at all possible options.
Second rule of budget traveling, look at all possible options.

Airports are the places where savvy drivers looking for a quick buck (or Peso) have the best opportunity to rip off oblivious tourists. Exiting the terminal, I asked the airport concierge where I could catch a taxi to the  Bayview Park Hotel, he pointed to two gentlemen chatting across the way. They waved me over, asked where I was going, and said: “It’s a flat rate of P900, mum.” I asked for a metered taxi, he rebutted, “I’ll drive you for P800, mum. It’s a good price.” 

“No, thanks. I want a metered taxi”


I spent 200 pesos.
Jeeks and Ken spent 800. ha, suckas.
  


Short story #2 – Manila, Philippines

Almost everyday for the 5 months I was in Thailand, I had this or a similar variation of the following conversation:

-"Khun Thai?" (Are you Thai?)
-Mai Thai (I'm not Thai). America and Philippine.
-"You same, same Thai people"or "You same face Thai people.”
-I know (laughs). Philippine look same, same.

I flew into the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila on Saturday and after the usual routine--immigration, baggage claim, and money exchange--I stood in line for a taxi.  I got to the front and the desk attendant said:

"You from Thailand?"

Even in the motherland, people still think I'm Thai. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the short stories!!!! I wonder how Jeeks & ken felt about that...anyway keep in touch!!! Luv dad...

    ReplyDelete