Friday, March 11, 2011

Did you know race is socially constructed?

Kasetsart University--Kampaeng Saeng, Thailand
Friday, March 4, 2011

Sitting four people to a table waiting for our Pad Thai--Zach and I on one side, Evan and Nick on the other. Four people having dinner.

We are four people having dinner.

1 of 2 Netherland travelers doing research at Kasetsart University recognizes Zach and comes over to our table of four. She greets him first, introduces herself to Evan and then to Nick, then reverts her attention back Zach. Three white guys and a brown girl having dinner.

In Thailand, we are three white guys and a brown girl having dinner.



Did you know race is socially constructed?




I'm brown with slanted eyes but if you want to get technical, I'm Filipino-American.

 
I've never been so aware of my tanned complexion and squinty eyes.  I know I blend in but who cares if I look Thai (or brown or Asian)? Or, so what if you assume I don't speak English? Some sort of acknowledgment would at least be respectful because, in reality...


if you REALLY want to get technical...

I'm also human.

No comments:

Post a Comment