Wednesday, March 9, 2011

From traveler to townie and back

After a five hour bus ride from the Mo Chit bus terminal in Bangkok to Aranya Prathet, a 15 minute tuk-tuk ride to the border, and about 45 minutes of visa/immigration business, we successfully (and painlessly) crossed the Thai/Cambodian border at the Poi Pet checkpoint.

Let's rewind.

Two months ago, I fancied the idea of staying in Thailand to teach for another semester--traveling every weekend, meeting new people, finding something new and exciting to do...I mean, who wouldn't want that?

Traveler.

I've lived and worked in Thailand, just like I've lived and worked in Monterey and LA. I hate to admit it but after 4 (almost 5) months in Thailand, it started to lose it's appeal. When I subbed out cultural explorations and adventures for Drunk Kristin on Khao San and weekend lethargy AND WAS OKAY WITH IT, I knew another semester wasn't for me (and I'm sure my liver would agree).

Thai Townie.


If there's one thing I don't want to be it's: too comfortable.
Change is in order, on to the next country.

Traveler.

Fast forward

Being in Cambodia is amazing because it's different and, well, because it's Cambodia. The second country stamp in my little passport. It will be a good day when I have to get more pages tacked on. There's something about being somewhere new that makes me feel good...high, in fact. There's nothing like it.

 
Siem Reap, Cambodia thus far...
  • Well, i still look like everyone. "You look like Cambodian people" or "You sure you're not half Cambodian?" yea, dude, I'm pretty sure.
  • What's up with the free transportation? I'm not complaining but seriously, why?
  • The food seems like a less oily and less spicy version of Thai food. In the words of Rachel Ray, DEEEELISH
  • I have to look right THEN left before crossing the street and the steering wheel is on the left side of the car!
  • They accept the US Dollar. You know you've been in Thailand long when you convert everything you buy into baht. It's depressing that I'm paying 60-80baht a meal in lieu of 20-40baht.
  • Cambodian customer service kicks the crap out of Thai customer service. 
  • Angkor Wat, it's hard not to fall in love with the ancient ruins. Waking up at 4:30 doesn't even place a damper on the morning. To be touching and standing on so much history is something you have to experience. Ayutthaya, Thailand ain't got shizzz on these bad boys.

1 comment:

  1. niiiiice kris, enjoy your adventure....luv dad..

    ReplyDelete