Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Loy Krathong & Yii Peng in Chiang Mai - Nov 19-22


I got a call about a month ago from Brandon at the OEG office (OEG/CIEE are the organizations I’m working through), asking if I wanted to go to Chiang Mai for the Loi Krathong and Yii Peng festivals. The group had an extra ticket and they needed someone to fill it. He said we’d leave Friday and return on Monday, missing one day of school.

He had me at “Chiang Mai”.

Missing Monday was like less icing on the cake (less is better when it comes to cake). Of course, I was down.

Chiang Mai, which is about 10 hours north of Bangkok, is one of my favorite cities in Thailand. We left at 7:30pm and arrived in Chiang Mai around 5:30am. We stayed at the Little Bird Guesthouse. The place is homey, earthy, and had an all around good vibe. Our early arrival left us hanging out in the outdoor common area, where I met a couple of cool cats, Sam and Sebastian. I assumed I was going to like the crowd based on these folks. I was right. I probably met some of the coolest people there--easy-going, fun, and down for a good time.

  taken by Rachel
 taken by Rachel
  taken by Rachel
  taken by Rachel

Alright, you’re probably wondering what Loi Krathong…Well, let me tell you. Loi Krathong, is an annual religious festival in honor of the River Goddess. People send Krathongs (lotus shaped floats made of cut banana tree trunks and decorated with banana leaves, incense, and candles) down a river, canal, or any body of water to ask for forgiveness for using and polluting the water.

Danielle and our 20b Krathong




The highlight of the trip was the Yi Peng festival at Maejo University.  Yii Peng is like Loy Krathong but in the sky. Lanna lanterns are sent up like mini-hot air balloons to give merit and send away any misfortune. I'll describe it as:


THE. MOST. AMAZING. EXPERIENCE. EVER. EVER. EVER.


My words and pictures will do the experience no justice. AT ALL. If you are ever in Thailand for Loi Krathong and Yii Peng, go to Maejo University in Chiang Mai. Trust me. The releasing of the lanterns is a MUST SEE. Guys, there were thousands and thousands of lanterns in the sky at once.

Ohhhh myyyyyy jebbbbbbbuddah!

Check it out:

3 comments:

  1. that's a beautiful village and those lanterns were amazing. must have been breathtaking to be there and actually see it....very nice!!!! thank you for the correspondence, seeing you in the pix walking, feels like i'm there too. dad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lantern experiment was legit!! I think I need to bring that idea to MB...I cant even imagine how tripped out you must have been looking up and seeing thousands of lights!! Im going to have to put this one on the bucketlist as well.

    Enjoy your time there shakes..be safe, be smart and come back with hundreds of stories about all the crazy stuff you ate, seen, expereinced, didnt want to experience lol...

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. C-money!

    you do read my blog! haha this made me smile. and yes, this a MUST ADD to your bucket list. it was sooooooo amazing and the atmosphere was nothing but love.

    I've got so many stories. you don't even knnnnow. thanks reading, money. :)

    ReplyDelete