Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holy crap, I've got so much power...


So while traveling, I've compiled a list of things I wouldn't typically do in the States but have no problem doing here in Thailandia. Here is my top four, in no particular order:

·      Walking

In America, if it's not within 3 to 4 blocks from my house, I'd grab the car keys and take the good 'ol dependable CRV named Yoshi. The thing is, it’s not even a conscious decision, driving was such a huge part of my life that grabbing my keys was the natural response to going anywhere. But I guess when it comes down to it, I drive because I don’t have to walk.

In Thailand, I walk mainly for three reasons:

1)   I don't have my own set of wheels. Also, when I think about it, I don’t think I'd ever want to drive here because…well, I’m pretty sure I’d freak out.

Thailand driving = Driving

2)   Traveling and walking go hand and hand. I want to see and experience the culture, especially in my town. Everything is so new and interesting and Thai and exciting. I would have thought the honeymoon stage would have worn off by now…guess not.

3)   Last thing, driving is unnecessary because everything I ever need is no more than a twenty-minute walk away ( I would have never said that two months ago in America).

Whenever I do need to go across town, I take the Lot Lang (spelled phonetically), which is a pick-up truck with two benches for seating on either side of the bed. In the city, the sky train, subway, and buses are great but my favorite for of transportation are the motorcycle taxis—the thrill of weaving in and out of traffic during rush hour, never fails for a butt-clenching-hold-on-to-your-seat grand ol time.

·      Banking on getting lost

In America, traveling is easy to navigate because language and signage are in English. If I ever got lost, I can ask someone…actually, scratch that. Who am I kidding, I wouldn’t ask anyone. I’ll rephrase: if I ever got lost, I’d turn to Iphone maps or ask Phoebe (Yoshi’s GPS system, dad named that one).

In Thailand, language and technology are clearly not on my side. Have you seen what I’m working with? I went from an Iphone that does everything to a Nokia straight from 2000…it doesn’t even have Snake.


Back to getting lost, with using public transportation usually comes having to know how to use it. I’m still trying to figure that out. I know where I want to go but getting there is the problem. I can have a map and point to my destination but if whomever I’m asking doesn't speak or read English, the map is as useless as an empty keg. Finding a person that speaks enough English (because my Thai is extremely limited) to successfully communicate is like playing the lottery. The odds are against you. I like to add a half an hour to an hour to my travel time because sometimes I just never know.

·      Approaching someone because she/he looks like she/he speaks English

In America, making more friends or going out with the intention to meet people in LA was never on my agenda; I already had my core group, my bubble. Similar to driving and walking, I never put much thought into adding to my friends list.

In Thailand, I feel like there's an unwritten backpacker’s code for the Underground Foreign Council (UFC): Foreigners must stick together! Everyone is willing to point you in the right direction, willing to chat it up, willing to grab some food. I’ve met two people just by approaching them! What’s even better is that we’ve become friends! Woo!

Meeting people is so easy here because we’re all in the same boat—foreign to Thailand, not knowing much of the language, wanting to experience the country, wanting to have fun, etc. To travel is to have an instant connection with another farang because you know that you have at least one HUGGGE thing in common: in this case, traveling in Thailand.

·      Traveling 12+ hours one way during a three-day weekend

In America, every job I’ve had usually required me to work at least one day of the weekend and always felt like I had to stay local. There was never enough time to do anything...

In Thailand, three-day weekends are time to hit the rode. Traveling about 12 hours one way, means traveling about 24 hours both ways, which me 2 days to pack all the fun I can into my weekend. I’ve come across a few people who say that my friends and I are crazy for going on such long trips for a short period of time. I say, “Mind yo business, thas all. Just mind yo business”.  I’ve been to Chiang Mai for Loi Krathong (November 19-22), Chiang Rai for Phu Chi Fa (December 3-6), and Khao Sok for the Jungle (December 9-12). Sleep is minimal and the weekend is full of so much adventure; it feels like one long day with a few naps in the mix.



Last words...



What do you know? Life does exist outside the world of me.

In America, life was easy.  I had everything I ever needed--family, friends, a job, and a car. Everything was in its place, nice and perfect and homely and comfortable. Like Wall-E—accustomed to the conveniences of life; it was only a matter of time before I put on a tracksuit, parked my tush in a remote controlled chair, and gained 40 pounds.  

In Thailand, living isn’t hard it’s just that I don’t have a bubble to seclude myself in.  Traveling brings on new challenges to overcome. And to combat these impediments, I've had to tap into reserves I didn't even know I had. I learn something new everyday, every time I feel out of my element, and every time I do something new. Life is comfortable in a sense that I have enough to survive, but it's also exciting and full of new adventures, new people, and uncertainty of what the next day will bring. I mean, a couple of weeks ago I was on top of a mountain in northern Thailand overlooking Laos and the following week I was swimming in the jungle in southern Thailand. The possibilities are endless. I can do whatever I want.

ANNNNYYYYYTHINGGGGGG!!!

Holy crap...I've got so much power...



6 comments:

  1. A drink to "Adventure!" So awesome. Exactly why I love to travel too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get'em!!! I'm excited for you, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rack 'em in kj, keep exploring...lots of luv...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so excited for you dude!! Seriously Kj you inspire me! keep it up partna!

    Net

    ReplyDelete
  5. KJ- just caught up on your blog and, holy crap!, you are Amazing! I'm so happy to see you happy and getting so much out of this experience. Your writing is so eloquent and real. Don't ever stop writing! Keep having the time of your life in Thailand, while I live it vicariously. Like Net said, you truly do inspire me. I can't wait to travel! love ya!!
    xoxox
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very empowering and soooo true! Live it up, for this life is short. Carpe Diem baby!
    Love, Mama Liz

    ReplyDelete