Wednesday, December 15, 2010

headless buddhas & monkey bizz: november 26-27


Ayutthaya - November 26

I really hate to admit this but after a while temples just start looking the same; they start blending together--elaborate, ornate, gold, with big Buddhas, small Buddhas, skinny Buddhas, plump Buddhas. I'm officially templed out. Ayutthaya was refreshingly different; the temples were old ruins dating back to the Siam Kingdom. 

The pronunciation of Ayutthaya is something along the lines of eye-you-tie-ya. I've heard so many different pronunciations; it's hard to decipher what's right from wrong. Anyway, Erin and I met up with Katrina and we had a grand ol time. The ruins in Ayutthaya were fun...like one giant playground (but I'm sure Thais would say otherwise)--running around, climbing, and jumping on and off things.  It was FUN. I'm pretty positive we weren't supposed to do some of the things we did but the Picture Police, or so he called himself, just stopped us once. 

A little history:

Ayutthaya was Thailand's capital, known as Siam, from 1350-1767 and was known for its international trading.  The city fell to Burma in 1767 and relocated to its current location in Bangkok.  As we walked around the ancient city, I noticed a reoccurring theme: the heads and right arms of the Buddha statues were missing.  I've heard of two reasons for the missing limbs: 1) the Burmese decapitated and de-armed (for lack of a better word) the statues because gold could be found on these specific body parts and 2) looters stole and sold the heads and arms to museums or on the black market. I'm not entirely sure which one is right. maybe both? I don't knnnnow. I haven't really put much effort into finding out. I should...but will I? sure. :)


Take 1: Erin's window had bees...555
Take 2: She changed windows


Headless and Right armless



Lopburi - November 27

The next day, we headed to Lopburi for the annual Monkey Festival. Every year the town gathers together to lay tarps and tarps full of food for the monkeys that share their town. It was crazy to see how many monkeys there were. They were EVERRRRRYWHERE!

here are a few of the favorites:



Baby & Mama
That's one focused monkey.
Coke!


What?!

2 comments:

  1. dude your awesome! And your pictures look amazing! Im loving reading your blog! miss you!

    Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures and cute monkeys!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete