Monday, May 16, 2011

Common Sense, it saves lives.


Alright, so I've never said this out loud, let alone admitted to it for all the internet to see, but I was terrified to travel before starting this epic journey (hence putting it off for so long). Intimidation of safe house absenteeism made me question my trip to Southeast Asia; leaving meant vulnerability and uncertainty.

Outside of uni, a lot of what I knew about Asia could be sourced from the media (and, well, we all know how unbiased, accurate, and constructive they can be). Two months before leaving, some ex-cop with enough issues to fill Qualcomm hijacked a bus in the Philippines. The result: seven dead Chinese tourists. And in April 2010 (six months before I came to Thailand) a dozen or so Thai people were killed in a Red Shirt vs. Thai Army clash at Democracy Monument. And when I was leaving people wished me a “Don’t get trafficked” or “Hope you come back with all your organs” type of goodbye.

Awkward laugh
Ha-ha-ha

Wait……what?
I don't want to get trafficked or blown up on bus or caught in the crossfire of
socio-political warfare annnd I certainly like my insides...inside.

.................................

All pretty valid concerns, I'd say.


Here's the thing…

And to put this as simply as possible: shit happens…and it happens EVERYWHERE.

The probability of some mental brotha holding an entire bus hostage in the Philippines is the same as in the United States, where what do you know, human trafficking exists too (oh yes, it does). And, guns. I’ve been meaning to tell you, I’ve met a number of foreign folks who were hesitant to go to the US because everyone has one. That’s news to me. With that said, fears of outrageous media worthy events (which isn’t saying much) should not be the basis of a deterred trip abroad. Just gotta use some common sense to avoid crap situations. 

For example: 
  • Don’t walk through dodgy allies late at night (duh)
  • Be aware of your surroundings (another no brainer)
  • Dressing like a video vixen, isn't even okay in music videos
  • It's okay to leave your drink unattended NEVER
  • Wear red to a Red Shirt rally, not yellow (guilty) 
  • Sit on top of Jeepney on windy, mountainous roads just in case you have to jump off a cliff diving vehicle (Filipinos actually do this)

Oh! And if you find yourself in a hostage situation, well, sucks to be you. But you should know that it's not just Asia (or where ever you go), it can happen in America (or where ever you're from) too. 

Common Sense, it saves lives. 

5 comments:

  1. Common sense. You're right, just as long as you don't forget to pack it. I am very proud of you. Can't wait to have you home. Am sure you have plenty of stories.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. count down,,,,, 5,,,4,,,3,,,....we're glad to have you back home in a few days..Looking forward to your --daring, nerve wrecking, what did I get myself into, exciting,wonderful,educational,eye popping,can't believe I did it on my own-- s.e. asian countries travel experiences...unbelievable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 mos. is not a whole lot of time but you have showed maturity and become wiser grasshopper, you are indeed a super woman...see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You made such a successful adventure.

    ReplyDelete