Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Clichéd but true


I wanted to go to the Philippines, so I went to the Philippines. If I wanted to make friends, I accepted their friend request. If I wanted to spend twelve hours on a bus, I packed socks and a sweater in my purse. The world is my oyster. I know that now. How grand! How grand! How grand! (enthusiasm soberly inspired by the infamous, not-so-sober Dean Moriarity aka Neal Cassady). This is truly a liberating mental breakthrough:

If I wanted to, then I did it.
If I want to, then I'll do it.

In the beginning, traveling scared me because anything is possible. And now I love traveling for exactly that. Merdeka! (by the way, fear is possibly the worst excuse for not doing anything not just traveling).

How do you do it?
I'm not as brave as you are. I can’t travel alone.
I can't be away from my family. 
A year is too long.

So here it is...

I’m not the next star of a travel channel original (....or is that Disney?), BUT I do know what it’s like to want to travel but not want to travel; limbo is weak and you'll kick yourself in the head if you don't pull yourself out. trust meee. There's no secret to it AND you're never “alone”. Scouts honor (I've met amazing people even when I didn't want to). So, coming from a person who just crossed over to travelside, the transition is painless and fairly easy. Take it from me, there's nothing to fear. Once scared to leave home, I'm reluctant to go back. And mind you, this is coming from someone who will more or less resume an incredibly fortunate life--a decently paid job (hopefully soon), great family and friends, and all the other luxuries of a North American way of living.

so if you want to,
JUST DO IT.



Cheers to nothing to lose and everything to gain


2 comments:

  1. Cant help but think this is somewhat directed to me especially "a year is too long"... Cant wait for you to get home partna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in awe of your bravado! 'Tis true what you say...we only hold ourselves back. Carpe Diem

    ReplyDelete