Sunday, November 28, 2010

I live for my weekends.

November 12, 2010, marked my one-month anniversary in Thailand. It’s been a very interesting month of many firsts—leaving the country, riding a legit train (the one at Disneyland doesn’t count), teaching English, learning Thai, riding a motorbike, staying in hostels, annnd more! I’ve partied hard, scratched my head in confusion, laughed so hard no sound came out, almost cried, gotten lost in Bangkok, everything. I’ve done so much in such a short period of time and I still have five and a half more months. Incredible.

During the week, I stay local in Phetchaburi but weekends are my time to get down with the get down (yes, I stole that from you, mj). Seeing as though I’m traveling way more than I’m blogging, I find it necessary to hit you with the cliff notes version of my weekend getaways thus far.

To bring you up to date, here are the highlights:

Chumphon & Koh Tao – October 22-25



If you read the last blog, you’d know that Culture Shock really ripped me a new one my first week of school. So, my friends and I decided to take a mini-vacay to Koh Tao, a small island in the Gulf of Thailand. I NEEDED to be with my English-speaking peeps especially for a long weekend. People in attendance: Erin, Danielle, Mike, Tatiana, & Dave.

Boss-lady let me take the day off work on Friday, handed me a note written in Thai, said to give it to the ticket collector, and sent me on my way. The train was at maximum capacity. I’m talking three bodies to a two-person seat, people (including me) standing shoulder to shoulder in the aisle, and vendors trying to make their way up and down the train selling their goods. It was packed.

As soon as the ticket collector read the note he said, “Bah,” meaning “let’s go.” I followed him and made my through the crowd into the last car of the train, passed seating for monks and disabled people.

Ahhh! Much better.

This note must have been the golden ticket because I got hooked up like I was Thai VIP--sat by the window, had a row all to myself, and chopped it up with folks sitting around me. I mostly talked with the train employees, Nut and Oat, who also helped me find a place to stay in Chumphon since I missed the last ferry. Things really couldn’t have gone any smoother.

Oat & Nut

In Chumphon, I put my foreign-vision goggles on and looked for anyone who seemed like they could speak English. Target spotted--white guy with a large backpack, he had to be American. Without introducing myself, my first words to him: “Do you speak English?” When he said yes, I kind of just held on to him for dear life (not literally). Josh is an English teacher in Eason (eastern Thailand) through the Peace Corps. We ended up staying at the Siam Dream Guesthouse, had dinner, and talked; it felt so good to just talk at a normal pace and in complete sentences (inclusive of articles: the, a, & an). Josh and I met with Danielle on the ferry in the morning, sat with our feet dangling off the side of the boat, and enjoyed the view of the Gulf of Thailand for three hours.

My room at Siam Dream

Koh Tao, Thailand

To really explain what happened on the island would be impossible. Koh Tao is a trip that goes down in the history books; this was undoubtedly the best-worst trip EVER. Those who were there will verify just how perfect this description is for what went down on the island.In just a day and a half we went swimming, learned how to drive motorbikes, damaged motorbikes (because of yours truly), saw the sunset, drink, danced, got drunk, lost friends, ate pancakes, lost a purse (passport, wallet, and a couple g’s in baht), found friends, searched the beach/bars/businesses, found the purse (nothing missing), and were almost stranded. That’s not even all of it…

But I’ll end this section with my favorite part of the weekend:

Sunday morning, sun was shining and all of us were chillin’ in the warm clear blue ocean, piecing together the craziness of the night and laughing. We laughed and laughed and laughed for what felt like forever. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed for so long!


Khao San Road, Bangkok – October 29-31 & Nov 12-14


How can you go wrong with people looking to have fun, beer and buckets at your disposal, and no real care in the world? You can’t. Drum roll please…

Award for Greatest Guilty Pleasure goes to Khao San Road!

Let me introduce you to this simple equation:

Thirsty Travelers + Beers & Buckets = Khao San Road



Khao San Road is a long block of bars, hostels, sales oriented street vendors, foreigners, and trendy/edgy local Thais. It’s very popular amongst young foreign travelers looking to party. I thoroughly enjoy it. There are bright lights, great people, and loud music.

A. NON-STOP. PARTY.




I really should not enjoy this street as much as I do but I can’t help it. It’s fun and so easy to meet people from all over the world. It’s the perfect combination after 15 hours of teaching and 25+hours of sitting in my cubical. Sometimes I just need to get a little crazy and unwind (safely, of course). I’ve gone to Bangkok on two separate occasions (Halloween and another random weekend) and spent my nights on Khao San with the usual suspects.

Tatiana, Danielle, Mike, Elana, Dave, & Erin

The most recent trip to Khao San, we ate bugs & frogs.
Photo taken by Erin

Photo taken by Erin

yum.
Photo taken by Erin

The Changin' Canadians
Photo taken by Ken

& Bugs with the Brits
Photo taken by Erin
I also needed American food that night. McDonalds hit the spot.
Photo taken by Erin

One of my favorite hostels is also just two blocks from Khao San! NapPark! If you are ever in Bangkok, please, please, please, stay at this place! It’s a little more expensive than the other places in the area but it’s worth it. I believe it’s the people who make the hostel experience, everyone (both staff and guests) have always been amazing. Oh god, I love that place.

Photo taken by Erin

NapPark is modern, comfortable, and CLEAN. Large cushions and pillows lay on the floor of the lobby for guests to lounge around. There’s free Wi-Fi throughout the hostel, as well as four computers in the lobby for everyone to use. There are two big rooms on each floor with about 20 bunk beds, each sectioned off by white transparent curtains. There's air conditioning and hot water, as well. Dorm style sleeping and the communal atmosphere of NapPark make it easy to feel at home and meet other travelers. I should definitely get paid for this.

Lounge area outside NapPark
Photo taken by Erin

Second Room of the Second Floor
Photo taken by Erin

Chumphon – Monk Ceremony – November 6-7

Pre-monks throw bangin’ parties.

It’s common belief in Thai culture that parents are sent to heaven when their son becomes a monk. So for just 12 days, my coworker was a monk—orange monk gear, shaved head, and all. I rode down with my other coworkers on Saturday and I was expecting a nice solemn spiritual gathering. WRONG. There were what looked like carnival lights up and down the entire street, a live concert with three scantily dressed singers and four other background dancers, at least two hundred people, and enough food and drinks for an army. Like I said, it was a bangin’ party.



Please note the time on this picture...They just don't stop.

We slept at their family’s house. 12 women to one bedroom. 4 on the bed and the rest of us on the floor. TILE floor. Need I say more?

The ceremony was on Sunday, which was more of what I expected. There was a parade with a traveling band—a drum set in the bed of a truck and walking along side are the guitarists, bassist, and singer. The ceremony was small and took place in a small temple with three of four Buddha statues. It was about an hour and half of chanting and watching. I wish I were able to understand what was going on. Oh well, I’m just glad I could be apart of it.


3 comments:

  1. what a party!!!!!! I want to be a part of that! this entry made me smile a whole lot because I could tell that you are having a really great time :) I totally love the pictures, and I definitely would have eaten one of those frogs or a handful of bugs...yum!
    love you girl,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, em! i love you and your comments! :) you'd love it here--so many cool down to earth people and so many things to see! man o man. :)

    -k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts! Did you know that Aloha has been there as well? Anyway, keep it going. Love and miss you doll! Mama Liz

    ReplyDelete