Thursday, February 10, 2011

It just feels right.

February 12, 2011, marks my fourth monthiversary living in Thailand. Subsequently, this also means that for the last four months I have been homeless, but not Nathaniel Ayers pre-Downtown, LA-discovery-homeless. Instead, I use this term in reference to being without anything or anyone closely associated with home—LA, Monterey, my inner circle.

It’s not a bad thing.

I’d like to think that a temporary “farewell” or “see ya later” to all that is normal is part of the reason why people travel to begin with. It was for me anyway. There is one thing though: this headfirst dive into US homelessness has confirmed that although survival is possible without the warmth of security blankets, familiarity is certainly comforting. It’s like sticking to “the usual” at your favorite eatery or lying in your bed for the first time after a long weekend of traveling.

It just feels right.

In a lifestyle that has nowhere to go but charge forward, sometimes a tangible piece of home is the battery that keeps the motor running. This time last week, my best friend from college came out for a visit. Her presence was refreshing. AND to laugh uncontrollably for no apparent reason besides “we just get each other ” was exactly what I needed. 

Home.

I will admit, though, that the mingling of Thailand and home is amusingly strange.  While catching up on the floor cushions of Nap Park, I found myself muting her voice and just staring at her in the most-innocently-amazed kind of way. 

She looks like Ellie...and sounds like Ellie.

Ellie’s in Thailand?

Ellie’s in Thailand!!!


 
a few highlights...
Ellie's first time on a motorcycle...
Bussin to Erawan Waterfalls
The Ellies
Tigers!
Loveeee her
She likes Thailand more...

5 comments:

  1. ErrAAWWWW EERRrrAAWWW :) lol...i laughed again for a good 2 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I,m happy for you ladies, pix shows you both had a great time, hi krits!!! hi back to you ellie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Familiarity is comforting... why do you think we always sought out chinese food in places like Bishop CA? But we still ventured out... you my dear dear sister have gone beyond that and proven to yourself that you can get passed this feeling by putting yourself in a situation unfamiliar and still remain strong and independent. Remember we have a saying "no damsel in distress!".... Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yessss!

    our motto: no damsel in distress...



    unlike jeeks. hahaha

    ReplyDelete